Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 31 is here (well, was)

Going 31 days without eating meat - success.  Going 31 days without drinking alcohol - 97% success.

Did we fail because we didn't go the entire 31 days without having a drink? ....nope.  If you've been following my blog for the last month you know that we give up drinking every January and have done so for the last few years, the last 3 to be exact.  We do this simply because we feel we need a break, nothing more - nothing less.  so, should we feel bad that we had drink or two during particular events? No - not at all.  

Many people may disagree with this and that's your opinion.  Here's how I see it.  It's ok if things don't always go according to plan.  We need to learn to relax and not hold ourselves to such high standards all of the time.  Events such as birthday dinners, football games, wedding engagement brunches, etc. come up all of the time.  We live in a very busy city and are very busy people and sometimes   So in all, these two particular events (P going to Germany and I visiting my folks) were acceptable and legitimate reasons to enjoy wine (me) and most likely beer for P.  

Anyways, on a happier note, I think I'm going to continue with not eating meat.  I may include chicken in meals every so often but to be honest I don't miss it at all.  I don't crave it, I bypass that section on menus, I am just completely fine without it in my diet.  On the other hand, I believe P will incorporate it back into his - which I am fine with him doing.  

My goal this month is to experience with new vegetables such as eggplants, cabbage, fennel, artichokes, etc.  So be on the lookout for posts with new recipes.

As far as how we feel, we feel great.  The only issue I experienced was the lack of energy on random days due to not consuming enough protein and that I easily fixed.  In addition we both have more energy and P feels more 'flowy' (I apologize if that's TMI).  Either one of us has had a checkup in a few months so we're not sure about our cholesterol levels but if anything they have to be lower.

*News Flash - We went to brunch yesterday and I decided to order chicken with veggies and rice.  Delicious meal although I got sick afterwards.  I believe my body was rejecting the meat.  Guess who's definitely staying away from chicken for awhile!?

Hope everyone enjoyed the Super Bowl!

- Theresa



No comments:

Post a Comment