Now with the craziness of the holidays (the traveling, the shopping, the baking, the running around…you name it) behind us, what sounds better than some q-u-a-l-i-t-y R&R. We all deserve and need rest and relaxation every so often, sometimes more so than we actually set aside for ourselves. It’s rewarding both mentally and physically to take a day (or even just a few hours) and kick off the shoes, make some hot tea, pour yourself a glass of wine or whatever your favorite calming beverage is and put the feet up!
Here are a few of my favorites ways to unwind.
- Drink green tea and listen to light music – Make some of your favorite green tea and pop on some jazz or classical tunes. Sit back and relax!
- Read a good book. - Burry yourself in a good classic or pick a new favorite.
- Write in a journal – Writing down your thoughts is known to reap a lot of benefits, such as reducing stress, creating personal awareness and growth, to name a few.
- Go for a walk (pending the weather – might be more relaxing when it’s warm and sunny or a cool spring evening) - Walking at least 30 minutes a day adds years to your life, clears your mind, and directs your focus.
- Stretch your muscles – Stretching not only increases your range of movement, but also increases your circulation, reduces stress, and muscle tension.
- Have your significant other give you a massage – Getting a massage relaxes injured, tired and overused muscles, releases endorphins, lessens depression and anxiety, and much more.
- Cook and or bake - Cook a fun meal or bake your favorite dessert.
- Turn on some fun music and dance – Though this one initially doesn’t fall under the category of rest and relaxation it can afterwards. Here’s a five minute workout: Rock out to your favorite song and then wind down with some light stretching and then a good book. Dancing reduces stress, improves strength, and decreases blood pressure.
- Light some candles (or lights that look like candles for those with confined space) and take a bath - Warm water dilates your blood vessels and improves circulation, relieves aches and pains, helps you sleep.
Here’s to you and relaxing. You deserve it!
I think I’ll relax right now with a good book, some green tea and light music. =)